BMW Single sided Swing Arm

BMW Single sided Swing Arm

Postby MickyGippa » Thu 11 Aug, 2016 8:08 pm

Have any members had problems with the hub bearing on a bike with a single sided swing arm?
I have a BMW K1300GT which has had the two bearings in the final drive hub replaced after only 16k miles ( cost £300) the bikes is 7 year old with 7 stamps in service book and is well looked after.
I was wondering if this ailment affects other makes of bike with shaft drive and a single sided swing arm. Honda VFR 1200 & Crosstourers etc. Has anybody got a BMW with a single arm with 50k trouble free miles?
I know for sure that bikes with a double sided swing arm and shaft drive Pan Ams etc can easily achieve 150k without issue on the rear hub. I have mates with them and the lack of bother they have had puts my bike to shame.
From an engineering point of view it is crazy to have only one side of a swing arm as it puts enormous stress on the hub arm and bearings.
BMW don't seem to acknowledge there is a problem with their system but forums are full of owners complaining about them.
If I cannot regain confidence then I will be kicking BMW into touch and going British/Japanese/Italian.
MickyGippa

Re: BMW Single sided Swing Arm

Postby Bob » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 8:26 pm

I have a VFR 1200 ,just had the recall done on the final drive .It was the UJ that the recall was for AFAIK ,apart from that the bike has been ultra reliable in 12000 miles covered .

Robert
Bob

Postby MickyGippa » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 8:18 pm

Thanks Bob, I guess fellow BMW owners must have trouble free rear drives!!!!
I have looked at Hondas in the past in particular the Crosstourer. I notice that Hondas Hubs look more robust and look as if they hold more oil.
BMW K1300 only holds 180ml and there is no breather so it will ooze out of the hub if someone overfills it and it gets hot and expands (I have had that happen after a dealer service!!!). I would recommend that any BMW owner renews their hub oil every year it is easy to do and you can clean out the magnetic drain plug. Something else dealers rarely do!
MickyGippa

Postby Bob » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi Micky..Yes your right l used to have a R1200R and it was easy to change to oil definitely worthwhile..
l also change the VFR final drive oil every year .

Cheers Bob
Bob

Return to Technical Issues